There are schools offering creative writing courses in Michigan!
Schools Offering Creative Writing Programs in Michigan
The top-ranked school in Michigan that has a creative writing program is Central Michigan University. Central Michigan University, which was ranked 33rd in the country in 2010, is located in Mount Pleasant. In 2010, 19 students graduated from Central Michigan University's creative writing program. Students at Central Michigan University paid $9,688 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in Michigan that has a creative writing program is Eastern Michigan University. Eastern Michigan University, which was ranked 38th in the country in 2010, is located in Ypsilanti. 22 students graduated with degree in creative writing from Eastern Michigan University in 2010. Tuition at Eastern Michigan University was $8,378 per year.
Spring Arbor University, which was ranked 38th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Michigan that has a creative writing program. It is located in Spring Arbor. The tuition rate at Spring Arbor University was $20,536 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Michigan's creative writing schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $13,555 per year, though tuition can range from $31,186 per year to $2,330 per year. The Michigan creative writing schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Albion College - located in Albion, students are charged $31,186 per year
- Cornerstone University - located in Grand Rapids, students are charged $21,178 per year
- Spring Arbor University - located in Spring Arbor, students are charged $20,536 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Michigan creative writing schools were charged at the following schools:
- Lansing Community College - located in Lansing, students are charged $2,330 per year
- Saginaw Valley State University - located in University Center, students are charged $7,308 per year
- Northern Michigan University - located in Marquette, students are charged $7,864 per year
A creative writing degree from a Michigan school... what next?
Most people who graduate from creative writing school in Michigan go on to work as a creative writer. In 2010, there were 730 creative writers working in Michigan. The Michigan counties with the largest populations of creative writers are:
- Lapeer County - 250 creative writers
- Wayne County - 100 creative writers
- Washtenaw County - 80 creative writers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of creative writers in the state of Michigan will grow to 4,230. This would require a 10% growth in the profession.
On average, a creative writer earns a salary of $50,740 per year in Michigan state. In 2010, however, some Michigan creative writers earned as little as less than $17,780 per year or as much as more than $92,960 per year. A creative writer in the following Michigan counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Lapeer County - $55,430 per year
- Washtenaw County - $53,920 per year
- Wayne County - $52,590 per year
The following counties in Michigan have the lowest average salaries for creative writers:
- Barry County - $44,710 per year
- Kalamazoo County - $45,560 per year
- Berrien County - $46,080 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Michigan statistics regarding a career in creative writing and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as communications or creative writing.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Creative Writing in Michigan
- Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing in Michigan
- Master's Degree in Creative Writing in Michigan
- Doctoral Degree in Creative Writing in Michigan
Curious what studying Creative Writing gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Michigan
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Writers and Authors||730||$50,740||-47.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are creative writing related jobs in Michigan