There are schools offering interior design programs in Michigan!
Schools Offering Interior Design Programs in Michigan
Around 0.1% of Michigan's graduates graduate from interior design degree programs every year. That means an estimated 285 interior designers graduate from Michigan's 21 interior design schools each year.
Michigan State University, which is located in East Lansing, is the top-ranked school in Michigan that has a interior design program. It received a ranking of 16th in the country in 2010. 42 students graduated with a degree in interior design from Michigan State University in 2010. Students at Michigan State University paid $11,152 per year in tuition fees.
Eastern Michigan University, which was ranked 38th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Michigan that has a interior design program. It is located in Ypsilanti. In 2010, 27 students graduated from Eastern Michigan University interior design program. Eastern Michigan University charged in-state students $8,378 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Michigan that has a interior design program is Western Michigan University. Western Michigan University, which was ranked 66th in the country in 2010, is located in Kalamazoo. In 2010, Western Michigan University graduated 14 students from its interior design programs. Western Michigan University charged in-state students $9,006 in tuition fees per year.
Tuition at Michigan's interior design schools ranges from $31,275 per year to $2,104 per year. But, the average tuition is $10,195 per year. The Michigan interior design schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- College for Creative Studies - located in Detroit, students are charged $31,275 per year
- Adrian College - located in Adrian, students are charged $25,900 per year
- Lawrence Technological University - located in Southfield, students are charged $24,633 per year
The interior design schools in Michigan that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Henry Ford Community College - located in Dearborn, students are charged $2,104 per year
- Oakland Community College - located in Bloomfield Hills, students are charged $2,106 per year
- Lansing Community College - located in Lansing, students are charged $2,330 per year
An interior design degree from a Michigan school... what next?
The highest percentage of interior design graduates in Michigan pursue careers as an interior designer. If you decide to work as an interior designer in Michigan, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 840 Michigan interior designers as of 2010. The Michigan counties with the largest populations of interior designers are:
- Lapeer County - 210 interior designers
- Barry County - 160 interior designers
- Washtenaw County - 80 interior designers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 2,140 interior designers will be working in Michigan state. This would require the number of interior designers to grow by 8%.
An interior designer in Michigan makes an average of $56,270 per year. In 2010, however, some Michigan interior designers earned as little as less than $17,300 per year or as much as more than $161,440 per year. On average an interior designer earns the most in the following Michigan counties:
- Barry County - $78,700 per year
- Lapeer County - $70,150 per year
- Wayne County - $56,670 per year
An interior designer in the following counties in Michigan make the lowest salaries on average:
- Kalamazoo County - $32,470 per year
- Allegan County - $36,530 per year
- Ottawa County - $38,150 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Michigan statistics regarding a career in interior design and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as design or graphic design.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Interior Design in Michigan
- Bachelor's Degree in Interior Design in Michigan
- Master's Degree in Interior Design in Michigan
- Certificate in Interior Design in Michigan
Curious what studying Interior Design gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Michigan
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are interior design related jobs in Michigan