There are schools offering social work degrees in Michigan!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in Michigan
The top-ranked school in Michigan with a social work program is Michigan State University, which is located in East Lansing. In 2010, it was ranked 16th nationwide. In 2010, Michigan State University graduated 83 students from its social work program. Tuition at Michigan State University was $11,152 per year.
Grand Valley State University, which was ranked 29th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Michigan that has a social work program. It is located in Allendale. 179 students graduated with degree in social work from Grand Valley State University in 2010. The tuition rate at Grand Valley State University was $9,088 per year.
The third-ranked school in Michigan with a social work program is Central Michigan University, which is located in Mount Pleasant. In 2010, it was ranked 33rd nationwide. In 2010, Central Michigan University graduated 208 students from its social work programs. The tuition rate at Central Michigan University was $9,688 per year.
If you choose to attend a Michigan social work school, average tuition will be $11,208 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $2,088 per year to $30,660 per year. In 2010, the social work schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Michigan were:
- University of Detroit Mercy - located in Detroit, students are charged $30,660 per year
- Hope College - located in Holland, students are charged $26,510 per year
- Adrian College - located in Adrian, students are charged $25,900 per year
The following Michigan social work schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Washtenaw Community College - located in Ann Arbor, students are charged $2,088 per year
- Wayne County Community College District - located in Detroit, students are charged $2,164 per year
- Lansing Community College - located in Lansing, students are charged $2,330 per year
A social work degree from a Michigan school... what next?
A large number of Michigan social work graduates become social workers. In 2010, there were 9,030 social workers working in Michigan. The Michigan counties with the largest populations of social workers are:
- Wayne County - 4,170 social workers
- Barry County - 310 social workers
- Allegan County - 200 social workers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 7,280 social workers will be working in Michigan state. This would require the number of social workers to grow by 17%.
A social worker in Michigan makes an average of $49,400 per year. However, this number is only an average. social workers in Michigan had varying salaries from $23,170 to $85,110 per year in 2010. On average a social worker earns the most in the following Michigan counties:
- Clinton County - $59,180 per year
- Jackson County - $53,150 per year
- Genesee County - $53,000 per year
A social worker in the following counties in Michigan make the lowest salaries on average:
- Bay County - $43,930 per year
- Kalamazoo County - $44,120 per year
- Washtenaw County - $44,140 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Michigan statistics regarding a career in social work. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as human resources or social work.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in Michigan
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in Michigan
- Master's Degree in Social Work in Michigan
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in Michigan
- Certificate in Social Work in Michigan
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Michigan
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||9,540||$47,210||4.4%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||9,030||$49,400||124.1%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||5,010||$39,770||15.7%|
|Social Workers, All Other||1,960||$49,230||69.0%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in Michigan