There are schools offering accounting degrees in Mississippi!
Schools Offering Accounting Programs in Mississippi
The top-ranked school in Mississippi with a accounting program is Mississippi State University, which is located in Mississippi State. In 2010, it was ranked 64th nationwide. In 2010, 109 students graduated from Mississippi State University's accounting program. Mississippi State University charged in-state students $5,461 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Mississippi with a accounting program is University of Mississippi Main Campus, which is located in University. In 2010, it was ranked 66th nationwide. 218 students graduated with degree in accounting from University of Mississippi Main Campus in 2010. Tuition at University of Mississippi Main Campus was $5,436 per year.
The third-ranked school in Mississippi that has a accounting program is University of Southern Mississippi. University of Southern Mississippi, which was ranked 70th in the country in 2010, is located in Hattiesburg. In 2010, 108 students graduated from University of Southern Mississippi accounting program. The tuition rate at University of Southern Mississippi was $5,452 per year.
Tuition at Mississippi's accounting schools ranges from $27,812 per year to $1,680 per year. But, the average tuition is $6,949 per year. The Mississippi accounting schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Millsaps College - located in Jackson, students are charged $27,812 per year
- Belhaven University - located in Jackson, students are charged $17,700 per year
- Antonelli College - located in Hattiesburg, students are charged $14,850 per year
The following Mississippi accounting schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Itawamba Community College - located in Fulton, students are charged $1,680 per year
- Holmes Community College - located in Goodman, students are charged $1,938 per year
- Northwest Mississippi Community College - located in Senatobia, students are charged $1,950 per year
An accounting degree from a Mississippi school... what next?
Most people who graduate from accounting school in Mississippi go on to work as an accountant. In 2010, there were 4,710 accountants working in Mississippi. The largest populations of Mississippi accountants are working in the following counties:
- Copiah County - 2,050 accountants
- Alcorn County - 730 accountants
- Hancock County - 510 accountants
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of accountants is expected to grow by 20% by 2018. There are projected to be 6,150 accountants working in the Mississippi then.
On average, an accountant earns a salary of $55,660 per year in Mississippi state. However, this number is only an average. accountants in Mississippi had varying salaries from $25,980 to $108,990 per year in 2010. The following counties in Mississippi have the highest average salaries for accountants:
- George County - $63,760 per year
- Adams County - $60,230 per year
- Clarke County - $57,100 per year
An accountant in the following counties in Mississippi make the lowest salaries on average:
- Alcorn County - $50,570 per year
- Forrest County - $51,530 per year
- Attala County - $54,730 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Mississippi statistics regarding a career in accounting. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as forensic accounting or business administration.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Accounting in Mississippi
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting in Mississippi
- Master's Degree in Accounting in Mississippi
Curious what studying Accounting gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Mississippi
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks||15,560||$31,660||0.9%|
|Accountants and Auditors||4,710||$55,660||1.3%|
|Billing and Posting Clerks||3,880||$27,780||-3.5%|
|Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks||1,720||$32,240||-13.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are accounting related jobs in Mississippi