There are schools offering medical assistant programs in Mississippi!
Schools Offering Medical Assisting Programs in Mississippi
Around 0.6% of Mississippi's graduates graduate from medical assisting certificate programs every year. That means an estimated 449 medical assistants graduate from Mississippi's 8 medical assistant schools each year.
Pearl River Community College, which was ranked 69th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in Mississippi that has a medical assistant program. It is located in Poplarville. 13 students graduated with a certificate in medical assistant from Pearl River Community College in 2010. The tuition rate at Pearl River Community College was $2,180 per year.
Virginia College-Biloxi, which was ranked 70th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Mississippi that has a medical assistant program. It is located in Biloxi. In 2010, Virginia College-Biloxi graduated 20 students from its medical assistant program. Virginia College-Biloxi charged in-state students $12,400 in tuition fees per year.
Delta Technical College, which was ranked 70th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Mississippi that has a medical assistant program. It is located in Horn Lake. In 2010, Delta Technical College graduated 163 students from its medical assistant programs. Tuition at Delta Technical College was $0 per year.
If you choose to attend a Mississippi medical assistant school, average tuition will be $6,059 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $2,060 per year to $14,850 per year. In 2010, the following Mississippi medical assistant schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Antonelli College - located in Jackson, students are charged $14,850 per year
- Antonelli College - located in Hattiesburg, students are charged $14,850 per year
- Virginia College-Biloxi - located in Biloxi, students are charged $12,400 per year
The medical assistant schools in Mississippi that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Hinds Community College - located in Raymond, students are charged $2,060 per year
- Northeast Mississippi Community College - located in Booneville, students are charged $2,130 per year
- Pearl River Community College - located in Poplarville, students are charged $2,180 per year
A medical assistant certificate from a Mississippi school... what next?
A large number of Mississippi medical assistant graduates become medical assistants. 2,480 medical assistants were working in Mississippi in 2010. In Mississippi, the largest numbers of medical assistants work in the following counties:
- Alcorn County - 660 medical assistants
- Copiah County - 460 medical assistants
- Clarke County - 250 medical assistants
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of medical assistants is expected to grow by 27% by 2018. There are projected to be 3,320 medical assistants working in the Mississippi then.
On average, medical assistants earn $25,950 per year. However, this number is only an average. medical assistants in Mississippi had varying salaries from $17,090 to $42,120 per year in 2010. A medical assistant in the following Mississippi counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Hancock County - $28,400 per year
- Adams County - $28,040 per year
- Copiah County - $26,950 per year
The following counties in Mississippi have the lowest average salaries for medical assistants:
- Attala County - $22,290 per year
- Forrest County - $24,160 per year
- Clarke County - $25,050 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Mississippi statistics regarding a career in medical assisting and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as physical therapy assisting or medical assisting.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting in Mississippi
- Certificate in Medical Assisting in Mississippi
Curious what studying Medical Assistant gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Mississippi
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical assistant related jobs in Mississippi