There are schools offering medical coding classess in Mississippi!
Schools Offering Medical Coding Programs in Mississippi
Approximately 0.4% of graduates in of Mississippi receive medical coding certificates every year. In other words, every year an estimated 273 medical coders graduate from Mississippi's 10 medical coding schools.
The top-ranked school in Mississippi with a medical coding program is Virginia College-Biloxi, which is located in Biloxi. In 2010, it was ranked 70th nationwide. In 2010, Virginia College-Biloxi graduated 34 students from its medical coding program. Students at Virginia College-Biloxi paid $12,400 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in Mississippi that has a medical coding program is Delta Technical College. Delta Technical College, which was ranked 72nd in the country in 2010, is located in Horn Lake. 83 students graduated with certificate in medical coding from Delta Technical College in 2010.
East Central Community College, which was ranked 72nd nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Mississippi that has a medical coding program. It is located in Decatur. In 2010, East Central Community College graduated 8 students from its medical coding programs. Tuition at East Central Community College was $1,980 per year.
Medical coding schools in Mississippi, charge students an average tuition of $5,250 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $14,850 per year, or as little as $1,980 per year. In 2010, the medical coding schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Mississippi were:
- Antonelli College - located in Jackson, students are charged $14,850 per year
- Antonelli College - located in Hattiesburg, students are charged $14,850 per year
- Virginia College-Biloxi - located in Biloxi, students are charged $12,400 per year
The medical coding schools in Mississippi that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- East Central Community College - located in Decatur, students are charged $1,980 per year
- Coahoma Community College - located in Clarksdale, students are charged $2,040 per year
- Hinds Community College - located in Raymond, students are charged $2,060 per year
A medical coding certificate from a Mississippi school... what next?
The highest percentage of medical coding graduates in Mississippi pursue careers as a medical coder. Mississippi had 2,020 medical coders in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of Mississippi medical coders:
- Copiah County - 440 medical coders
- Alcorn County - 420 medical coders
- Adams County - 250 medical coders
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of medical coders is expected to grow by 19% by 2018. There are projected to be 3,210 medical coders working in the Mississippi then.
A medical coder in Mississippi earns $27,230 per year on average. However, Mississippi medical coders earned anywhere in the range from as less than $15,960 per year to more than $48,950 per year in 2010. The counties in Mississippi with the highest average salary for a medical coder are:
- Hancock County - $32,190 per year
- Copiah County - $29,190 per year
- Clarke County - $27,580 per year
The Mississippi counties with the lowest average salary for medical coders are:
- Attala County - $24,330 per year
- Forrest County - $24,880 per year
- Adams County - $25,500 per year
For more data regarding a career in medical coding in Mississippi and to compare salaries with various related fields such as administrative assisting or health information management, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Coding in Mississippi
- Certificate in Medical Coding in Mississippi
Curious what studying Medical Coding gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Mississippi
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||2,020||$27,230||-13.7%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical coding related jobs in Mississippi