There are schools offering cosmetology programs in New Mexico!
Schools Offering Cosmetology Programs in New Mexico
De Wolff College Hair Styling and Cosmetology, which is located in Albuquerque, is the top-ranked school in New Mexico that has a cosmetology program. It received a ranking of 74th in the country in 2010. 63 students graduated with a certificate in cosmetology from De Wolff College Hair Styling and Cosmetology in 2010.
The second-ranked school in New Mexico that has a cosmetology program is Olympian University of Cosmetology. Olympian University of Cosmetology, which was ranked 77th in the country in 2010, is located in Alamogordo. 369 students graduated with certificate in cosmetology from Olympian University of Cosmetology in 2010.
New Mexico Junior College, which was ranked 77th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in New Mexico that has a cosmetology program. It is located in Hobbs. In 2010, 32 students graduated from New Mexico Junior College cosmetology program. Tuition at New Mexico Junior College was $1,076 per year.
If you choose to attend a New Mexico cosmetology school, average tuition will be $3,037 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $814 per year to $12,403 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at New Mexico cosmetology schools were charged at the following schools:
- National American University-Albuquerque - located in Albuquerque, students are charged $12,403 per year
- National American University-Rio Rancho - located in Rio Rancho, students are charged $12,403 per year
- Northern New Mexico College - located in Espanola, students are charged $2,594 per year
The cosmetology schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in New Mexico were:
- Luna Community College - located in Las Vegas, students are charged $814 per year
- Clovis Community College - located in Clovis, students are charged $944 per year
- San Juan College - located in Farmington, students are charged $1,032 per year
A cosmetology certificate from a New Mexico school... what next?
Most people who graduate from cosmetology school in New Mexico go on to work as a cosmetologist. In 2010, there were 1,580 cosmetologists working in New Mexico. The largest populations of New Mexico cosmetologists are working in the following counties:
- Bernalillo County - 990 cosmetologists
- Santa Fe County - 200 cosmetologists
- Dona Ana County - 150 cosmetologists
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of cosmetologists is expected to grow by 10% by 2018. There are projected to be 2,960 cosmetologists working in the New Mexico then.
A cosmetologist in New Mexico earns $26,930 per year on average. But, salaries for cosmetologists can vary. In 2010, cosmetologists made as little as less than $15,950 per year or as much as more than $73,770 per year in New Mexico. The counties in New Mexico with the highest average salary for a cosmetologist are:
- Santa Fe County - $41,100 per year
- Bernalillo County - $26,900 per year
- Dona Ana County - $21,330 per year
A cosmetologist in the following counties in New Mexico make the lowest salaries on average:
- Chaves County - $17,840 per year
- San Juan County - $18,020 per year
- Cibola County - $20,750 per year
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Cosmetology in New Mexico
- Certificate in Cosmetology in New Mexico
Curious what studying Cosmetology gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in New Mexico
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Manicurists and Pedicurists||n/a||$20,100|
|Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists||1,580||$26,930||20.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are cosmetology related jobs in New Mexico