There are schools offering culinary programs in North Carolina!
Schools Offering Culinary Arts Programs in North Carolina
The top-ranked school in North Carolina that has a culinary program is The Art Institute of Charlotte. The Art Institute of Charlotte, which was ranked 74th in the country in 2010, is located in Charlotte. 32 students graduated with a degree in culinary from The Art Institute of Charlotte in 2010. The Art Institute of Charlotte charged in-state students $17,028 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in North Carolina that has a culinary program is College of the Albemarle. College of the Albemarle, which was ranked 85th in the country in 2010, is located in Elizabeth City. In 2010, College of the Albemarle graduated 18 students from its culinary program. Tuition at College of the Albemarle was $1,909 per year.
Wilkes Community College, which was ranked 85th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in North Carolina that has a culinary program. It is located in Wilkesboro. In 2010, Wilkes Community College graduated 9 students from its culinary programs. Tuition at Wilkes Community College was $1,927 per year.
If you choose to attend a North Carolina culinary school, average tuition will be $4,790 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $1,454 per year to $24,429 per year. In 2010, the following North Carolina culinary schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Johnson & Wales University-Charlotte - located in Charlotte, students are charged $24,429 per year
- The Art Institute of Raleigh-Durham - located in Durham, students are charged $22,754 per year
- The Art Institute of Charlotte - located in Charlotte, students are charged $17,028 per year
The culinary schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in North Carolina were:
- Vance-Granville Community College - located in Henderson, students are charged $1,454 per year
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College - located in Asheville, students are charged $1,609 per year
- Sandhills Community College - located in Pinehurst, students are charged $1,697 per year
A culinary degree from a North Carolina school... what next?
The highest percentage of culinary graduates in North Carolina pursue careers as a chef. North Carolina had 3,090 chefs in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of North Carolina chefs:
- Anson County - 820 chefs
- Franklin County - 590 chefs
- Chatham County - 270 chefs
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of chefs is expected to shrink by 0% by 2018. There are projected to be 3,070 chefs working in the North Carolina then.
On average, a chef earns a salary of $41,710 per year in North Carolina state. But, salaries for chefs can vary. In 2010, chefs made as little as less than $15,610 per year or as much as more than $86,980 per year in North Carolina. The counties in North Carolina with the highest average salary for a chef are:
- Alleghany County - $48,630 per year
- Brunswick County - $46,330 per year
- Buncombe County - $45,990 per year
On average, chefs earns the least in the following North Carolina counties:
- Chatham County - $35,080 per year
- Beaufort County - $35,370 per year
- Cumberland County - $36,340 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional North Carolina statistics regarding a career in culinary arts and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as pastry or culinary.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Culinary Arts in North Carolina
- Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts in North Carolina
- Certificate in Culinary Arts in North Carolina
Curious what studying Culinary gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in North Carolina
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria||7,610||$22,460||-6.2%|
|Cooks, Short Order||7,140||$19,810||-10.1%|
|Cooks, Fast Food||3,270||$18,040||-73.9%|
|Chefs and Head Cooks||3,090||$41,710||15.7%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are culinary related jobs in North Carolina