There are schools offering mental health programs in North Carolina!
Schools Offering Mental Health Programs in North Carolina
North Carolina Central University, which is located in Durham, is the top-ranked school in North Carolina that has a mental health program. It received a ranking of 46th in the country in 2010. In 2010, North Carolina Central University graduated no students from its mental health program. Students at North Carolina Central University paid $4,561 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in North Carolina with a mental health program is Gardner-Webb University, which is located in Boiling Springs. In 2010, it was ranked 74th nationwide. In 2010, Gardner-Webb University graduated 14 students from its mental health program. Tuition at Gardner-Webb University was $22,410 per year.
Western Piedmont Community College, which was ranked 74th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in North Carolina that has a mental health program. It is located in Morganton. 17 students graduated with degree in mental health from Western Piedmont Community College in 2010. Western Piedmont Community College charged in-state students $1,874 in tuition fees per year.
Tuition at North Carolina's mental health schools ranges from $22,410 per year to $1,454 per year. But, the average tuition is $4,408 per year. In 2010, the mental health schools that charged the highest tuition rates in North Carolina were:
- Gardner-Webb University - located in Boiling Springs, students are charged $22,410 per year
- North Carolina Central University - located in Durham, students are charged $4,561 per year
- Guilford Technical Community College - located in Jamestown, students are charged $1,981 per year
The mental health schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in North Carolina were:
- Vance-Granville Community College - located in Henderson, students are charged $1,454 per year
- Lenoir Community College - located in Kinston, students are charged $1,703 per year
- Richmond Community College - located in Hamlet, students are charged $1,866 per year
A mental health degree from a North Carolina school... what next?
A large number of North Carolina mental health graduates become mental health counselors. North Carolina had 3,760 mental health counselors in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of North Carolina mental health counselors:
- Anson County - 450 mental health counselors
- Bladen County - 440 mental health counselors
- Franklin County - 380 mental health counselors
The government projects that by 2018, the number of mental health counselors in the state of North Carolina will grow to 3,650. This would require a 19% growth in the profession.
A mental health counselor in North Carolina earns $40,630 per year on average. However, North Carolina mental health counselors earned anywhere in the range from as less than $20,390 per year to more than $71,600 per year in 2010. The counties in North Carolina with the highest average salary for a mental health counselor are:
- Davie County - $49,610 per year
- Onslow County - $45,290 per year
- Alleghany County - $44,690 per year
The following counties in North Carolina have the lowest average salaries for mental health counselors:
- Caswell County - $30,290 per year
- Alamance County - $36,370 per year
- Brunswick County - $36,680 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional North Carolina statistics regarding a career in mental health. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as mental health or clinical psychology.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Mental Health in North Carolina
- Master's Degree in Mental Health in North Carolina
- Certificate in Mental Health in North Carolina
Curious what studying Mental Health gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in North Carolina
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||4,310||$42,330||13.4%|
|Mental Health Counselors||3,760||$40,630||108.9%|
|Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors||1,310||$42,390||-9.0%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mental health related jobs in North Carolina