There are schools offering creative writing courses in Pennsylvania!
Schools Offering Creative Writing Programs in Pennsylvania
Around 0.1% of Pennsylvania's graduates graduate from creative writing degree programs every year. Thus, Pennsylvania's 20 creative writing schools put out approximately 357 creative writers each year.
Carnegie Mellon University, which is located in Pittsburgh, is the top-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a creative writing program. It received a ranking of 16th in the country in 2010. 14 students graduated with a degree in creative writing from Carnegie Mellon University in 2010. Carnegie Mellon University charged in-state students $42,136 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Pennsylvania with a creative writing program is Temple University, which is located in Philadelphia. In 2010, it was ranked 24th nationwide. In 2010, Temple University graduated 8 students from its creative writing program. Students at Temple University paid $12,424 per year in tuition fees.
The third-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a creative writing program is Bryn Mawr College. Bryn Mawr College, which was ranked 25th in the country in 2010, is located in Bryn Mawr. 1 students graduated with degree in creative writing from Bryn Mawr College in 2010. Tuition at Bryn Mawr College was $39,360 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Pennsylvania's creative writing schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $25,787 per year, though tuition can range from $42,342 per year to $4,320 per year. In 2010, the creative writing schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Pennsylvania were:
- Bucknell University - located in Lewisburg, students are charged $42,342 per year
- Carnegie Mellon University - located in Pittsburgh, students are charged $42,136 per year
- Franklin and Marshall College - located in Lancaster, students are charged $41,140 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Pennsylvania creative writing schools were charged at the following schools:
- Community College of Philadelphia - located in Philadelphia, students are charged $4,320 per year
- University of Pittsburgh-Bradford - located in Bradford, students are charged $12,046 per year
- University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown - located in Johnstown, students are charged $12,078 per year
A creative writing degree from a Pennsylvania school... what next?
Most people who graduate from creative writing school in Pennsylvania go on to work as a creative writer. In 2010, there were 1,220 creative writers working in Pennsylvania. The largest populations of Pennsylvania creative writers are working in the following counties:
- Bucks County - 570 creative writers
- Allegheny County - 210 creative writers
- Warren County - 70 creative writers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 3,900 creative writers will be working in Pennsylvania state. This would require the number of creative writers to shrink by -2%.
A creative writer in Pennsylvania makes an average of $53,590 per year. However, Pennsylvania creative writers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $25,970 per year to more than $91,270 per year in 2010. On average a creative writer earns the most in the following Pennsylvania counties:
- Cumberland County - $65,540 per year
- Allegheny County - $59,270 per year
- Bucks County - $58,070 per year
A creative writer in the following counties in Pennsylvania make the lowest salaries on average:
- Lackawanna County - $35,240 per year
- Adams County - $42,800 per year
- Berks County - $44,050 per year
For more data regarding a career in creative writing in Pennsylvania and to compare salaries with various related fields such as communications or creative writing, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing in Pennsylvania
- Master's Degree in Creative Writing in Pennsylvania
- Certificate in Creative Writing in Pennsylvania
Curious what studying Creative Writing gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Pennsylvania
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Writers and Authors||1,220||$53,590||-32.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are creative writing related jobs in Pennsylvania