There are schools offering medical coding classess in Pennsylvania!
Schools Offering Medical Coding Programs in Pennsylvania
Around 0.1% of Pennsylvania's graduates graduate from medical coding certificate programs every year. That means an estimated 567 medical coders graduate from Pennsylvania's 29 medical coding schools each year.
Drexel University, which is located in Philadelphia, is the top-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a medical coding program. It received a ranking of 24th in the country in 2010. In 2010, Drexel University graduated no students from its medical coding program. Tuition at Drexel University was $33,000 per year.
The second-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a medical coding program is Mercyhurst College. Mercyhurst College, which was ranked 38th in the country in 2010, is located in Erie. Students at Mercyhurst College paid $26,346 per year in tuition fees.
Penn Commercial Business/Technical School, which is located in Washington, is the third-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a medical coding program. It received a ranking of 63rd in the country in 2010. In 2010, 35 students graduated from Penn Commercial Business/Technical School medical coding program. Students at Penn Commercial Business/Technical School paid $20,600 per year in tuition fees.
If you are hoping to attend one of Pennsylvania's medical coding schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $7,537 per year, though tuition can range from $33,000 per year to $2,700 per year. In 2010, the medical coding schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Pennsylvania were:
- Drexel University - located in Philadelphia, students are charged $33,000 per year
- Mercyhurst College - located in Erie, students are charged $26,346 per year
- Sanford-Brown Institute - located in Feasterville Trevose, students are charged $25,100 per year
The medical coding schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Pennsylvania were:
- Westmoreland County Community College - located in Youngwood, students are charged $2,700 per year
- Community College of Allegheny County - located in Pittsburgh, students are charged $2,720 per year
- Butler County Community College - located in Butler, students are charged $3,120 per year
A medical coding certificate from a Pennsylvania school... what next?
A large number of Pennsylvania medical coding graduates become medical coders. In 2010, there were 7,470 medical coders working in Pennsylvania. The following counties have the largest number of Pennsylvania medical coders:
- Bucks County - 1,940 medical coders
- Allegheny County - 1,680 medical coders
- Warren County - 650 medical coders
The government projects that the number of medical coders in Pennsylvania will grow by 9%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 8,600 medical coders working in Pennsylvania.
On average, a medical coder earns a salary of $33,310 per year in Pennsylvania state. However, this number is only an average. medical coders in Pennsylvania had varying salaries from $18,250 to $56,940 per year in 2010. On average a medical coder earns the most in the following Pennsylvania counties:
- Bucks County - $38,060 per year
- Clarion County - $34,260 per year
- Cumberland County - $33,960 per year
A medical coder in the following counties in Pennsylvania make the lowest salaries on average:
- Centre County - $24,920 per year
- Erie County - $27,920 per year
- Adams County - $28,650 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Pennsylvania statistics regarding a career in medical coding. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as administrative assisting or health information management.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Coding in Pennsylvania
- Certificate in Medical Coding in Pennsylvania
Curious what studying Medical Coding gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Pennsylvania
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||7,470||$33,310||7.2%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical coding related jobs in Pennsylvania