There are schools offering technical writing courses in Pennsylvania!
Schools Offering Technical Writing Programs in Pennsylvania
Each year, approximately 0.1% of Pennsylvania graduates receive degrees in technical writing. In other words, every year an estimated 194 technical writers graduate from Pennsylvania's 11 technical writing schools.
Carnegie Mellon University, which is located in Pittsburgh, is the top-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a technical writing program. It received a ranking of 16th in the country in 2010. In 2010, 30 students graduated from Carnegie Mellon University's technical writing program. Students at Carnegie Mellon University paid $42,136 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a technical writing program is Kutztown University of Pennsylvania. Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, which was ranked 36th in the country in 2010, is located in Kutztown. In 2010, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania graduated 42 students from its technical writing program. Kutztown University of Pennsylvania charged in-state students $7,732 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Pennsylvania that has a technical writing program is York College Pennsylvania. York College Pennsylvania, which was ranked 36th in the country in 2010, is located in York. 18 students graduated with degree in technical writing from York College Pennsylvania in 2010. Students at York College Pennsylvania paid $15,140 per year in tuition fees.
Technical writing schools in Pennsylvania, charge students an average tuition of $23,380 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $42,136 per year, or as little as $7,732 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Pennsylvania technical writing schools were charged at the following schools:
- Carnegie Mellon University - located in Pittsburgh, students are charged $42,136 per year
- Lehigh University - located in Bethlehem, students are charged $39,780 per year
- Elizabethtown College - located in Elizabethtown, students are charged $33,250 per year
The technical writing schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Pennsylvania were:
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania - located in Kutztown, students are charged $7,732 per year
- Mansfield University of Pennsylvania - located in Mansfield, students are charged $8,058 per year
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Berks - located in Reading, students are charged $13,250 per year
A technical writing degree from a Pennsylvania school... what next?
Most people who graduate from technical writing school in Pennsylvania go on to work as a technical writer. In 2010, there were 1,550 technical writers working in Pennsylvania. The largest populations of Pennsylvania technical writers are working in the following counties:
- Bucks County - 750 technical writers
- Allegheny County - 400 technical writers
- Cumberland County - 80 technical writers
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of technical writers is expected to grow by 4% by 2018. There are projected to be 1,750 technical writers working in the Pennsylvania then.
A technical writer in Pennsylvania makes an average of $64,720 per year. However, Pennsylvania technical writers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $32,780 per year to more than $99,820 per year in 2010. The following counties in Pennsylvania have the highest average salaries for technical writers:
- Bucks County - $70,610 per year
- Warren County - $62,960 per year
- Cumberland County - $61,970 per year
The following counties in Pennsylvania have the lowest average salaries for technical writers:
- Allegheny County - $56,420 per year
- Centre County - $59,520 per year
- York County - $60,390 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Pennsylvania statistics regarding a career in technical writing and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as business administration or writing.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Technical Writing in Pennsylvania
- Bachelor's Degree in Technical Writing in Pennsylvania
- Master's Degree in Technical Writing in Pennsylvania
Curious what studying Technical Writing gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Pennsylvania
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are technical writing related jobs in Pennsylvania