There are schools offering law programs in South Dakota!
Schools Offering Law Programs in South Dakota
The top-ranked school in South Dakota with a law program is University of South Dakota, which is located in Vermillion. In 2010, it was ranked 36th nationwide. 113 students graduated with a degree in law from University of South Dakota in 2010. Students at University of South Dakota paid $6,762 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in South Dakota with a law program is Dakota Wesleyan University, which is located in Mitchell. In 2010, it was ranked 46th nationwide. In 2010, 6 students graduated from Dakota Wesleyan University law program. Dakota Wesleyan University charged in-state students $19,850 in tuition fees per year.
National American University-Ellsworth AFB Extension, which was ranked 46th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in South Dakota that has a law program. It is located in Ellsworth AFB. Students at National American University-Ellsworth AFB Extension paid $6,800 per year in tuition fees.
Tuition at South Dakota's law schools ranges from $21,890 per year to $3,154 per year. But, the average tuition is $11,257 per year. The South Dakota law schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- University of Sioux Falls - located in Sioux Falls, students are charged $21,890 per year
- Mount Marty College - located in Yankton, students are charged $19,932 per year
- Dakota Wesleyan University - located in Mitchell, students are charged $19,850 per year
The law schools in South Dakota that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Sinte Gleska University - located in Mission, students are charged $3,154 per year
- Southeast Technical Institute - located in Sioux Falls, students are charged $3,606 per year
- Western Dakota Technical Institute - located in Rapid City, students are charged $4,860 per year
A law degree from a South Dakota school... what next?
Many South Dakota law graduates become a police officer, court clerk, paralegal, police detective, and conservation officer. South Dakota had 5,250 law professionals in 2010. 730 of these law professionals were lawyers, 1,550 were police officers, and 780 were court clerks. The largest populations of South Dakota law professional are working in the following counties:
- Beadle County - 980 law professionals
- Lincoln County - 850 law professionals
- Meade County - 820 law professionals
On average, law professionals earn $46,197 per year. However, this number is only an average. Law professional in South Dakota had varying salaries from $17,050 to $142,290 per year in 2010. The counties in South Dakota with the highest average salary for law professionals are:
- Meade County - $48,400 per year
- Lincoln County - $45,015 per year
- Bennett County - $44,643 per year
Law professionals in the following counties in South Dakota make the lowest salaries on average:
- Beadle County - $38,556 per year
- Aurora County - $41,382 per year
- Bennett County - $44,643 per year
The law professionals with highest average salaries in South Dakota were:
- Judge - $91,320 per year
- Lawyer - $81,090 per year
- Police Detective - $64,140 per year
The law professionals with lowest average salaries in South Dakota were:
- Legal Assistant - $24,920 per year
- Bailiff - $19,110 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional South Dakota statistics regarding a career in law. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as forensic accounting or public administration.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Law in South Dakota
- Bachelor's Degree in Law in South Dakota
- Doctoral Degree in Law in South Dakota
Curious what studying Law gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in South Dakota
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers||1,550||$40,820||0.6%|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||780||$28,020||9.9%|
|Paralegals and Legal Assistants||530||$37,770||60.6%|
|Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists||400||$37,480||8.1%|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||220||$64,140||-8.3%|
|Fish and Game Wardens||100||$37,300||0.0%|
|Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates||90||$91,320||0.0%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are law related jobs in South Dakota