There are schools offering creative writing courses in Texas!
Schools Offering Creative Writing Programs in Texas
The University of Texas at Austin, which is located in Austin, is the top-ranked school in Texas that has a creative writing program. It received a ranking of 11th in the country in 2010. 10 students graduated with a degree in creative writing from The University of Texas at Austin in 2010. Tuition at The University of Texas at Austin was $9,418 per year.
The second-ranked school in Texas that has a creative writing program is Texas Christian University. Texas Christian University, which was ranked 28th in the country in 2010, is located in Fort Worth. In 2010, Texas Christian University graduated 10 students from its creative writing program. Texas Christian University charged in-state students $30,090 in tuition fees per year.
Texas State University-San Marcos, which is located in San Marcos, is the third-ranked school in Texas that has a creative writing program. It received a ranking of 31st in the country in 2010. In 2010, Texas State University-San Marcos graduated 19 students from its creative writing programs. Students at Texas State University-San Marcos paid $6,458 per year in tuition fees.
Creative writing schools in Texas, charge students an average tuition of $13,245 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $37,230 per year, or as little as $1,740 per year. The Texas creative writing schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Southern Methodist University - located in Dallas, students are charged $37,230 per year
- Texas Christian University - located in Fort Worth, students are charged $30,090 per year
- McMurry University - located in Abilene, students are charged $20,830 per year
The following Texas creative writing schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Austin Community College District - located in Austin, students are charged $1,740 per year
- The University of Texas-Pan American - located in Edinburg, students are charged $4,795 per year
- Texas State University-San Marcos - located in San Marcos, students are charged $6,458 per year
A creative writing degree from a Texas school... what next?
Most people who graduate from creative writing school in Texas go on to work as a creative writer. If you decide to work as a creative writer in Texas, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 2,050 Texas creative writers as of 2010. The largest populations of Texas creative writers are working in the following counties:
- Collin County - 520 creative writers
- Bastrop County - 470 creative writers
- Austin County - 460 creative writers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 9,930 creative writers will be working in Texas state. This would require the number of creative writers to grow by 22%.
A creative writer in Texas earns $58,120 per year on average. However, Texas creative writers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $22,380 per year to more than $125,350 per year in 2010. The counties in Texas with the highest average salary for a creative writer are:
- Bastrop County - $73,630 per year
- Johnson County - $65,680 per year
- Atascosa County - $57,490 per year
The following counties in Texas have the lowest average salaries for creative writers:
- Austin County - $48,490 per year
- Collin County - $56,680 per year
- Atascosa County - $57,490 per year
For more data regarding a career in creative writing in Texas and to compare salaries with various related fields such as communications or creative writing, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Creative Writing in Texas
- Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing in Texas
- Master's Degree in Creative Writing in Texas
- Doctoral Degree in Creative Writing in Texas
Curious what studying Creative Writing gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Texas
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Writers and Authors||2,050||$58,120||23.5%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are creative writing related jobs in Texas