There are schools offering gerontology programs in Texas!
Schools Offering Gerontology Programs in Texas
Texas Tech University, which is located in Lubbock, is the top-ranked school in Texas that has a gerontology program. It received a ranking of 28th in the country in 2010. In 2010, 7 students graduated from Texas Tech University's gerontology program. Tuition at Texas Tech University was $6,970 per year.
The second-ranked school in Texas that has a gerontology program is Stephen F Austin State University. Stephen F Austin State University, which was ranked 42nd in the country in 2010, is located in Nacogdoches. In 2010, 1 students graduated from Stephen F Austin State University gerontology program. The tuition rate at Stephen F Austin State University was $6,998 per year.
University of North Texas, which was ranked 42nd nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Texas that has a gerontology program. It is located in Denton. In 2010, 15 students graduated from University of North Texas gerontology program. Students at University of North Texas paid $7,306 per year in tuition fees.
If you choose to attend a Texas gerontology school, average tuition will be $9,564 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $1,712 per year to $22,760 per year. In 2010, the following Texas gerontology schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Abilene Christian University - located in Abilene, students are charged $22,760 per year
- University of Phoenix-Houston Campus - located in Houston, students are charged $11,640 per year
- University of North Texas - located in Denton, students are charged $7,306 per year
The following Texas gerontology schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Howard College - located in Big Spring, students are charged $1,712 per year
- Texas Tech University - located in Lubbock, students are charged $6,970 per year
- Stephen F Austin State University - located in Nacogdoches, students are charged $6,998 per year
A gerontology degree from a Texas school... what next?
A large number of Texas gerontology graduates become gerontologists. If you decide to work as a gerontologist in Texas, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 3,170 Texas gerontologists as of 2010. The largest populations of Texas gerontologists are working in the following counties:
- Austin County - 1,260 gerontologists
- Collin County - 810 gerontologists
- Atascosa County - 330 gerontologists
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of gerontologists is expected to grow by 45% by 2018. There are projected to be 5,320 gerontologists working in the Texas then.
On average, gerontologists earn $59,660 per year. But, salaries for gerontologists can vary. In 2010, gerontologists made as little as less than $26,950 per year or as much as more than $157,050 per year in Texas. A gerontologist in the following Texas counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Johnson County - $90,680 per year
- Collin County - $65,170 per year
- Atascosa County - $58,420 per year
The Texas counties with the lowest average salary for gerontologists are:
- El Paso County - $42,710 per year
- Austin County - $53,020 per year
- Atascosa County - $58,420 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Texas statistics regarding a career in gerontology and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as nurse practitioning or gerontology.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Gerontology in Texas
- Master's Degree in Gerontology in Texas
- Doctoral Degree in Gerontology in Texas
Curious what studying Gerontology gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Texas
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Medical and Health Services Managers||18,640||$90,070||10.5%|
|Social and Human Service Assistants||16,950||$30,380||-6.0%|
|Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists||3,170||$59,660||-31.5%|
|Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners, All Other||790||$64,180||-88.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are gerontology related jobs in Texas