There are schools offering mental health programs in Texas!
Schools Offering Mental Health Programs in Texas
Saint Edward's University, which was ranked 34th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in Texas that has a mental health program. It is located in Austin. In 2010, 58 students graduated from Saint Edward's University's mental health program. Saint Edward's University charged in-state students $26,484 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Texas with a mental health program is St Marys University, which is located in San Antonio. In 2010, it was ranked 40th nationwide. In 2010, 1 students graduated from St Marys University mental health program. The tuition rate at St Marys University was $22,576 per year.
Stephen F Austin State University, which was ranked 40th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Texas that has a mental health program. It is located in Nacogdoches. Tuition at Stephen F Austin State University was $6,998 per year.
Mental health schools in Texas, charge students an average tuition of $8,961 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $37,230 per year, or as little as $1,200 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Texas mental health schools were charged at the following schools:
- Southern Methodist University - located in Dallas, students are charged $37,230 per year
- Saint Edward's University - located in Austin, students are charged $26,484 per year
- St Marys University - located in San Antonio, students are charged $22,576 per year
The mental health schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Texas were:
- Tarrant County College District - located in Fort Worth, students are charged $1,200 per year
- Lone Star College System - located in Spring, students are charged $1,200 per year
- Alvin Community College - located in Alvin, students are charged $1,220 per year
A mental health degree from a Texas school... what next?
A large number of Texas mental health graduates become mental health counselors. 4,040 mental health counselors were working in Texas in 2010. The largest populations of Texas mental health counselors are working in the following counties:
- Austin County - 870 mental health counselors
- Collin County - 470 mental health counselors
- Bastrop County - 400 mental health counselors
The government projects that by 2018, the number of mental health counselors in the state of Texas will grow to 5,610. This would require a 23% growth in the profession.
On average, mental health counselors earn $37,930 per year. But, salaries for mental health counselors can vary. In 2010, mental health counselors made as little as less than $17,460 per year or as much as more than $92,790 per year in Texas. On average a mental health counselor earns the most in the following Texas counties:
- McLennan County - $67,440 per year
- Midland County - $47,370 per year
- Atascosa County - $40,550 per year
The following counties in Texas have the lowest average salaries for mental health counselors:
- Hardin County - $30,390 per year
- Aransas County - $31,990 per year
- Blanco County - $33,460 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Texas statistics regarding a career in mental health and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as mental health or clinical psychology.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Mental Health in Texas
- Bachelor's Degree in Mental Health in Texas
- Master's Degree in Mental Health in Texas
- Certificate in Mental Health in Texas
Curious what studying Mental Health gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Texas
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Mental Health Counselors||4,040||$37,930||109.3%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||3,320||$35,310||-15.9%|
|Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors||2,840||$36,320||11.8%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mental health related jobs in Texas