There are schools offering social work degrees in Texas!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in Texas
The top-ranked school in Texas with a social work program is The University of Texas at Austin, which is located in Austin. In 2010, it was ranked 11th nationwide. In 2010, The University of Texas at Austin graduated 258 students from its social work program. Students at The University of Texas at Austin paid $9,418 per year in tuition fees.
Texas Christian University, which was ranked 28th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Texas that has a social work program. It is located in Fort Worth. In 2010, Texas Christian University graduated 27 students from its social work program. The tuition rate at Texas Christian University was $30,090 per year.
Texas Tech University, which was ranked 28th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Texas that has a social work program. It is located in Lubbock. 23 students graduated with degree in social work from Texas Tech University in 2010. Tuition at Texas Tech University was $6,970 per year.
Tuition at Texas' social work schools ranges from $30,090 per year to $1,007 per year. But, the average tuition is $7,744 per year. In 2010, the social work schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Texas were:
- Texas Christian University - located in Fort Worth, students are charged $30,090 per year
- Baylor University - located in Waco, students are charged $29,884 per year
- Saint Edward's University - located in Austin, students are charged $26,484 per year
The social work schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Texas were:
- College of the Mainland - located in Texas City, students are charged $1,007 per year
- Lee College - located in Baytown, students are charged $1,086 per year
- Paris Junior College - located in Paris, students are charged $1,164 per year
A social work degree from a Texas school... what next?
A large number of Texas social work graduates become social workers. In 2010, there were 7,000 social workers working in Texas. The Texas counties with the largest populations of social workers are:
- Austin County - 1,550 social workers
- Collin County - 1,130 social workers
- Atascosa County - 680 social workers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of social workers in the state of Texas will grow to 9,580. This would require a 25% growth in the profession.
A social worker in Texas earns $51,000 per year on average. In 2010, however, some Texas social workers earned as little as less than $20,120 per year or as much as more than $143,240 per year. On average a social worker earns the most in the following Texas counties:
- Cooke County - $71,740 per year
- Grayson County - $64,060 per year
- Austin County - $58,430 per year
The Texas counties with the lowest average salary for social workers are:
- Gregg County - $37,910 per year
- Brewster County - $38,730 per year
- Bee County - $39,020 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Texas statistics regarding a career in social work and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as human resources or social work.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in Texas
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in Texas
- Master's Degree in Social Work in Texas
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in Texas
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Texas
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||18,050||$38,610||56.5%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||7,000||$51,000||1.6%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||3,320||$35,310||-15.9%|
|Social Workers, All Other||3,220||$47,560||74.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in Texas