There are schools offering veterinary assistant programs in Texas!
Schools Offering Veterinary Assisting Programs in Texas
Each year, approximately 0.1% of Texas graduates receive degrees in veterinary assisting. In other words, every year an estimated 352 veterinary assistants graduate from Texas' 12 veterinary assistant schools.
The top-ranked school in Texas that has a veterinary assistant program is Vet Tech Institute of Houston. Vet Tech Institute of Houston, which was ranked 71st in the country in 2010, is located in Houston. In 2010, 74 students graduated from Vet Tech Institute of Houston's veterinary assistant program. Vet Tech Institute of Houston charged in-state students $13,530 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Texas with a veterinary assistant program is Midland College, which is located in Midland. In 2010, it was ranked 83rd nationwide. 3 students graduated with degree in veterinary assistant from Midland College in 2010. The tuition rate at Midland College was $2,220 per year.
The third-ranked school in Texas that has a veterinary assistant program is Houston Community College. Houston Community College, which was ranked 84th in the country in 2010, is located in Houston. In 2010, Houston Community College graduated 22 students from its veterinary assistant programs. Students at Houston Community College paid $1,394 per year in tuition fees.
If you choose to attend a Texas veterinary assistant school, average tuition will be $3,919 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $1,200 per year to $13,530 per year. In 2010, the following Texas veterinary assistant schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Vet Tech Institute of Houston - located in Houston, students are charged $13,530 per year
- Virginia College-Austin - located in Austin, students are charged $11,800 per year
- Sul Ross State University - located in Alpine, students are charged $4,568 per year
The veterinary assistant schools in Texas that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Lone Star College System - located in Spring, students are charged $1,200 per year
- Cedar Valley College - located in Lancaster, students are charged $1,230 per year
- Houston Community College - located in Houston, students are charged $1,394 per year
A veterinary assistant degree from a Texas school... what next?
Most people who graduate from veterinary assistant school in Texas go on to work as a veterinary assistant. Texas had 5,870 veterinary assistants in 2010. In Texas, the largest numbers of veterinary assistants work in the following counties:
- Austin County - 1,290 veterinary assistants
- Collin County - 1,200 veterinary assistants
- Atascosa County - 680 veterinary assistants
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of veterinary assistants is expected to grow by 24% by 2018. There are projected to be 6,220 veterinary assistants working in the Texas then.
A veterinary assistant in Texas earns $23,210 per year on average. However, this number is only an average. veterinary assistants in Texas had varying salaries from $15,480 to $36,490 per year in 2010. The counties in Texas with the highest average salary for a veterinary assistant are:
- Collin County - $25,420 per year
- El Paso County - $24,850 per year
- Andrews County - $24,030 per year
On average, veterinary assistants earns the least in the following Texas counties:
- Bell County - $17,310 per year
- Callahan County - $18,230 per year
- Smith County - $18,660 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Texas statistics regarding a career in veterinary assisting. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as veterinary or dog training.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Veterinary Assisting in Texas
- Certificate in Veterinary Assisting in Texas
Curious what studying Veterinary Assistant gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Texas
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers||5,870||$23,210||38.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are veterinary assistant related jobs in Texas