There are schools offering veterinary technician programs in Texas!
Schools Offering Veterinary Technology Programs in Texas
Each year, approximately 0.1% of Texas graduates receive degrees in veterinary technology. In other words, every year an estimated 352 veterinary technicians graduate from Texas' 12 veterinary technician schools.
Vet Tech Institute of Houston, which was ranked 71st nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in Texas that has a veterinary technician program. It is located in Houston. 74 students graduated with a degree in veterinary technician from Vet Tech Institute of Houston in 2010. The tuition rate at Vet Tech Institute of Houston was $13,530 per year.
Midland College, which was ranked 83rd nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Texas that has a veterinary technician program. It is located in Midland. In 2010, Midland College graduated 3 students from its veterinary technician program. Students at Midland College paid $2,220 per year in tuition fees.
Houston Community College, which was ranked 83rd nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Texas that has a veterinary technician program. It is located in Houston. In 2010, 22 students graduated from Houston Community College veterinary technician program. Students at Houston Community College paid $1,394 per year in tuition fees.
Veterinary technician schools in Texas, charge students an average tuition of $3,919 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $13,530 per year, or as little as $1,200 per year. In 2010, the veterinary technician schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Texas were:
- Vet Tech Institute of Houston - located in Houston, students are charged $13,530 per year
- Virginia College-Austin - located in Austin, students are charged $11,800 per year
- Sul Ross State University - located in Alpine, students are charged $4,568 per year
The veterinary technician schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Texas were:
- Lone Star College System - located in Spring, students are charged $1,200 per year
- Cedar Valley College - located in Lancaster, students are charged $1,230 per year
- Houston Community College - located in Houston, students are charged $1,394 per year
A veterinary technician degree from a Texas school... what next?
Most people who graduate from veterinary technician school in Texas go on to work as a veterinary technician. In 2010, there were 6,760 veterinary technicians working in Texas. In Texas, the largest numbers of veterinary technicians work in the following counties:
- Austin County - 2,010 veterinary technicians
- Collin County - 1,080 veterinary technicians
- Bastrop County - 590 veterinary technicians
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 9,520 veterinary technicians will be working in Texas state. This would require the number of veterinary technicians to grow by 36%.
On average, veterinary technicians earn $27,980 per year. In 2010, however, some Texas veterinary technicians earned as little as less than $15,560 per year or as much as more than $55,840 per year. A veterinary technician in the following Texas counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Brewster County - $42,550 per year
- Webb County - $34,760 per year
- Hidalgo County - $33,010 per year
A veterinary technician in the following counties in Texas make the lowest salaries on average:
- Bell County - $20,640 per year
- Crosby County - $21,000 per year
- El Paso County - $21,980 per year
For more data regarding a career in veterinary technology in Texas and to compare salaries with various related fields such as veterinary or dog training, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Veterinary Technology in Texas
- Certificate in Veterinary Technology in Texas
Curious what studying Veterinary Technician gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Texas
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||6,760||$27,980||18.4%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are veterinary technician related jobs in Texas