There are schools offering accounting degrees in Virginia!
Schools Offering Accounting Programs in Virginia
The top-ranked school in Virginia that has a accounting program is University of Virginia-Main Campus. University of Virginia-Main Campus, which was ranked 10th in the country in 2010, is located in Charlottesville. 107 students graduated with a degree in accounting from University of Virginia-Main Campus in 2010. University of Virginia-Main Campus charged in-state students $10,828 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Virginia with a accounting program is College of William and Mary, which is located in Williamsburg. In 2010, it was ranked 16th nationwide. In 2010, College of William and Mary graduated 54 students from its accounting program. Students at College of William and Mary paid $12,188 per year in tuition fees.
The third-ranked school in Virginia that has a accounting program is Washington and Lee University. Washington and Lee University, which was ranked 16th in the country in 2010, is located in Lexington. In 2010, 39 students graduated from Washington and Lee University accounting program. Tuition at Washington and Lee University was $40,387 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Virginia's accounting schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $11,482 per year, though tuition can range from $41,610 per year to $2,616 per year. In 2010, the accounting schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Virginia were:
- University of Richmond - located in University Of Richmond, students are charged $41,610 per year
- Washington and Lee University - located in Lexington, students are charged $40,387 per year
- Randolph-Macon College - located in Ashland, students are charged $30,608 per year
The accounting schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Virginia were:
- Southwest Virginia Community College - located in Richlands, students are charged $2,616 per year
- Mountain Empire Community College - located in Big Stone Gap, students are charged $2,652 per year
- New River Community College - located in Dublin, students are charged $2,677 per year
An accounting degree from a Virginia school... what next?
A large number of Virginia accounting graduates become accountants. In 2010, there were 33,990 accountants working in Virginia. In Virginia, the largest numbers of accountants work in the following counties:
- Caroline County - 6,230 accountants
- Chesapeake County - 5,420 accountants
- Botetourt County - 1,060 accountants
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 50,150 accountants will be working in Virginia state. This would require the number of accountants to grow by 25%.
An accountant in Virginia makes an average of $72,540 per year. However, this number is only an average. accountants in Virginia had varying salaries from $31,800 to $113,520 per year in 2010. The following counties in Virginia have the highest average salaries for accountants:
- Frederick County - $70,780 per year
- Caroline County - $66,360 per year
- Accomack County - $66,190 per year
An accountant in the following counties in Virginia make the lowest salaries on average:
- Danville County - $54,860 per year
- Buchanan County - $55,410 per year
- Harrisonburg County - $56,000 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Virginia statistics regarding a career in accounting and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as forensic accounting or business administration.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Accounting in Virginia
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting in Virginia
- Master's Degree in Accounting in Virginia
- Certificate in Accounting in Virginia
Curious what studying Accounting gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks||45,380||$36,800||-0.7%|
|Accountants and Auditors||33,990||$72,540||1.7%|
|Billing and Posting Clerks||11,700||$34,500||-8.5%|
|Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks||3,770||$37,350||-39.4%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are accounting related jobs in Virginia