There are schools offering automotive training in Virginia!
Schools Offering Automotive Repair Programs in Virginia
Each year, roughly 0.2% of Virginia students graduate with certificates in automotive repair. That means an estimated 379 automotive mechanics graduate from Virginia's 15 automotive schools each year.
Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center, which is located in Fishersville, is the top-ranked school in Virginia that has a automotive program. It received a ranking of 63rd in the country in 2010. In 2010, 11 students graduated from Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center's automotive program.
Tidewater Tech-Trades, which was ranked 67th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Virginia that has a automotive program. It is located in Norfolk. In 2010, 21 students graduated from Tidewater Tech-Trades automotive program. Students at Tidewater Tech-Trades paid $12,870 per year in tuition fees.
The third-ranked school in Virginia that has a automotive program is Advanced Technology Institute. Advanced Technology Institute, which was ranked 67th in the country in 2010, is located in Virginia Beach. In 2010, 173 students graduated from Advanced Technology Institute automotive program. Advanced Technology Institute charged in-state students $12,700 in tuition fees per year.
If you choose to attend a Virginia automotive school, average tuition will be $3,996 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $2,616 per year to $12,870 per year. The Virginia automotive schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Tidewater Tech-Trades - located in Norfolk, students are charged $12,870 per year
- Advanced Technology Institute - located in Virginia Beach, students are charged $12,700 per year
- Blue Ridge Community College - located in Weyers Cave, students are charged $3,618 per year
The automotive schools in Virginia that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Southwest Virginia Community College - located in Richlands, students are charged $2,616 per year
- New River Community College - located in Dublin, students are charged $2,677 per year
- Eastern Shore Community College - located in Melfa, students are charged $2,856 per year
An automotive certificate from a Virginia school... what next?
The highest percentage of automotive graduates in Virginia pursue careers as an automotive mechanic. Virginia had 18,300 automotive mechanics in 2010. The largest populations of Virginia automotive mechanics are working in the following counties:
- Chesapeake County - 3,560 automotive mechanics
- Caroline County - 3,390 automotive mechanics
- Botetourt County - 1,030 automotive mechanics
The government projects that the number of automotive mechanics in Virginia will grow by 4%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 24,070 automotive mechanics working in Virginia.
On average, an automotive mechanic earns a salary of $41,480 per year in Virginia state. However, Virginia automotive mechanics earned anywhere in the range from as less than $16,570 per year to more than $67,260 per year in 2010. An automotive mechanic in the following Virginia counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Albemarle County - $44,080 per year
- Caroline County - $43,510 per year
- Chesapeake County - $39,570 per year
An automotive mechanic in the following counties in Virginia make the lowest salaries on average:
- Buchanan County - $28,570 per year
- Giles County - $28,920 per year
- Brunswick County - $30,190 per year
For more data regarding a career in automotive repair in Virginia and to compare salaries with various related fields such as automotive or plumbing, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Automotive Repair in Virginia
- Certificate in Automotive Repair in Virginia
Curious what studying Automotive gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics||18,300||$41,480||-13.5%|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||6,110||$41,560||0.5%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are automotive related jobs in Virginia