There are schools offering civil engineering degrees in Virginia!
Schools Offering Civil Engineering Programs in Virginia
University of Virginia-Main Campus, which is located in Charlottesville, is the top-ranked school in Virginia that has a civil engineering program. It received a ranking of 10th in the country in 2010. In 2010, University of Virginia-Main Campus graduated 90 students from its civil engineering program. Students at University of Virginia-Main Campus paid $10,828 per year in tuition fees.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, which was ranked 19th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Virginia that has a civil engineering program. It is located in Blacksburg. 314 students graduated with degree in civil engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 2010. Students at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University paid $9,459 per year in tuition fees.
The third-ranked school in Virginia with a civil engineering program is Virginia Military Institute, which is located in Lexington. In 2010, it was ranked 31st nationwide. In 2010, Virginia Military Institute graduated 35 students from its civil engineering programs. Virginia Military Institute charged in-state students $12,328 in tuition fees per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Virginia's civil engineering schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $7,675 per year, though tuition can range from $12,328 per year to $2,998 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Virginia civil engineering schools were charged at the following schools:
- Virginia Military Institute - located in Lexington, students are charged $12,328 per year
- University of Virginia-Main Campus - located in Charlottesville, students are charged $10,828 per year
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - located in Blacksburg, students are charged $9,459 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Virginia civil engineering schools were charged at the following schools:
- Northern Virginia Community College - located in Annandale, students are charged $2,998 per year
- Tidewater Community College - located in Norfolk, students are charged $3,212 per year
- Old Dominion University - located in Norfolk, students are charged $6,214 per year
A civil engineering degree from a Virginia school... what next?
Most people who graduate from civil engineering school in Virginia go on to work as a civil engineer. 9,460 civil engineers were working in Virginia in 2010. The largest populations of Virginia civil engineers are working in the following counties:
- Chesapeake County - 2,340 civil engineers
- Caroline County - 1,340 civil engineers
- Botetourt County - 200 civil engineers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of civil engineers in the state of Virginia will grow to 13,270. This would require a 26% growth in the profession.
A civil engineer in Virginia makes an average of $82,340 per year. But, salaries for civil engineers can vary. In 2010, civil engineers made as little as less than $34,430 per year or as much as more than $159,670 per year in Virginia. The counties in Virginia with the highest average salary for a civil engineer are:
- Brunswick County - $94,280 per year
- Accomack County - $80,030 per year
- Frederick County - $76,460 per year
The Virginia counties with the lowest average salary for civil engineers are:
- Amherst County - $59,610 per year
- Botetourt County - $60,360 per year
- Harrisonburg County - $60,910 per year
For more data regarding a career in civil engineering in Virginia and to compare salaries with various related fields such as civil engineering or drafting, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Civil Engineering in Virginia
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering in Virginia
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering in Virginia
- Doctoral Degree in Civil Engineering in Virginia
Curious what studying Civil Engineering gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Civil Engineering Technicians||2,430||$49,630||4.7%|
|Architectural and Civil Drafters||1,790||$47,420||-40.5%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are civil engineering related jobs in Virginia