There are schools offering medical coding classess in Virginia!
Schools Offering Medical Coding Programs in Virginia
Each year, roughly 0.2% of Virginia students graduate with certificates in medical coding. In other words, every year an estimated 380 medical coders graduate from Virginia's 9 medical coding schools.
The top-ranked school in Virginia with a medical coding program is Career Training Solutions, which is located in Fredericksburg. In 2010, it was ranked 65th nationwide. In 2010, Career Training Solutions graduated 55 students from its medical coding program.
The second-ranked school in Virginia that has a medical coding program is Everest College-Chesapeake. Everest College-Chesapeake, which was ranked 69th in the country in 2010, is located in Chesapeake. In 2010, 87 students graduated from Everest College-Chesapeake medical coding program. Tuition at Everest College-Chesapeake was $11,484 per year.
The third-ranked school in Virginia that has a medical coding program is Everest College-Newport News. Everest College-Newport News, which was ranked 71st in the country in 2010, is located in Newport News. In 2010, Everest College-Newport News graduated 32 students from its medical coding programs. Everest College-Newport News charged in-state students $11,160 in tuition fees per year.
Medical coding schools in Virginia, charge students an average tuition of $14,258 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $27,147 per year, or as little as $11,160 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Virginia medical coding schools were charged at the following schools:
- Centura College - located in Newport News, students are charged $27,147 per year
- Centura College - located in Norfolk, students are charged $27,122 per year
- Centura College - located in Richmond, students are charged $24,507 per year
The medical coding schools in Virginia that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Everest College-Newport News - located in Newport News, students are charged $11,160 per year
- Everest College-Chesapeake - located in Chesapeake, students are charged $11,484 per year
- Miller-Motte Technical College - located in Lynchburg, students are charged $12,900 per year
A medical coding certificate from a Virginia school... what next?
A large number of Virginia medical coding graduates become medical coders. In 2010, there were 3,740 medical coders working in Virginia. In Virginia, the largest numbers of medical coders work in the following counties:
- Chesapeake County - 1,000 medical coders
- Caroline County - 640 medical coders
- Botetourt County - 260 medical coders
The government projects that the number of medical coders in Virginia will grow by 22%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 4,280 medical coders working in Virginia.
On average, medical coders earn $35,200 per year. In 2010, however, some Virginia medical coders earned as little as less than $17,190 per year or as much as more than $58,170 per year. The following counties in Virginia have the highest average salaries for medical coders:
- Albemarle County - $38,190 per year
- Brunswick County - $37,460 per year
- Harrisonburg County - $36,400 per year
The Virginia counties with the lowest average salary for medical coders are:
- Danville County - $26,280 per year
- Buchanan County - $30,820 per year
- Giles County - $31,140 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Virginia statistics regarding a career in medical coding and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as administrative assisting or health information management.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Certificate in Medical Coding in Virginia
Curious what studying Medical Coding gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||3,740||$35,200||11.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical coding related jobs in Virginia