There are schools offering occupational therapy programs in Virginia!
Schools Offering Occupational Therapy Programs in Virginia
Each year, approximately 0.1% of Virginia graduates receive degrees in occupational therapy. That means an estimated 114 occupational therapists graduate from Virginia's 7 occupational therapy schools each year.
James Madison University, which is located in Harrisonburg, is the top-ranked school in Virginia that has a occupational therapy program. It received a ranking of 20th in the country in 2010. 18 students graduated with a degree in occupational therapy from James Madison University in 2010. Tuition at James Madison University was $7,860 per year.
Virginia Commonwealth University, which was ranked 32nd nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Virginia that has a occupational therapy program. It is located in Richmond. 36 students graduated with degree in occupational therapy from Virginia Commonwealth University in 2010. Virginia Commonwealth University charged in-state students $8,817 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Virginia with a occupational therapy program is Shenandoah University, which is located in Winchester. In 2010, it was ranked 41st nationwide. 13 students graduated with degree in occupational therapy from Shenandoah University in 2010. Shenandoah University charged in-state students $26,080 in tuition fees per year.
If you choose to attend a Virginia occupational therapy school, average tuition will be $10,132 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $2,616 per year to $26,080 per year. The Virginia occupational therapy schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Shenandoah University - located in Winchester, students are charged $26,080 per year
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences - located in Roanoke, students are charged $18,810 per year
- Virginia Commonwealth University - located in Richmond, students are charged $8,817 per year
The following Virginia occupational therapy schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Southwest Virginia Community College - located in Richlands, students are charged $2,616 per year
- Tidewater Community College - located in Norfolk, students are charged $3,212 per year
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College - located in Richmond, students are charged $3,528 per year
An occupational therapy degree from a Virginia school... what next?
A large number of Virginia occupational therapy graduates become occupational therapists. In 2010, there were 2,350 occupational therapists working in Virginia. The largest populations of Virginia occupational therapists are working in the following counties:
- Caroline County - 550 occupational therapists
- Chesapeake County - 470 occupational therapists
- Botetourt County - 110 occupational therapists
The government projects that the number of occupational therapists in Virginia will grow by 27%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 3,030 occupational therapists working in Virginia.
An occupational therapist in Virginia makes an average of $78,490 per year. However, Virginia occupational therapists earned anywhere in the range from as less than $44,690 per year to more than $140,090 per year in 2010. An occupational therapist in the following Virginia counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Buchanan County - $89,300 per year
- Brunswick County - $87,410 per year
- Accomack County - $79,720 per year
The Virginia counties with the lowest average salary for occupational therapists are:
- Giles County - $70,800 per year
- Alleghany County - $72,640 per year
- Amherst County - $73,020 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Virginia statistics regarding a career in occupational therapy and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as clinical psychology or occupational therapy.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Occupational Therapy in Virginia
- Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy in Virginia
- Doctoral Degree in Occupational Therapy in Virginia
- Certificate in Occupational Therapy in Virginia
Curious what studying Occupational Therapy gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Occupational Therapy Assistants||590||$58,480||7.3%|
|Occupational Therapy Aides||110||$27,950||-8.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are occupational therapy related jobs in Virginia