There are schools offering surgical technologist programs in Virginia!
Schools Offering Surgical Technology Programs in Virginia
Around 0.1% of Virginia's graduates graduate from surgical technology certificate programs every year. In other words, every year an estimated 187 surgical technologists graduate from Virginia's 9 surgical technologist schools.
Fortis College, which is located in Richmond, is the top-ranked school in Virginia that has a surgical technologist program. It received a ranking of 66th in the country in 2010. 12 students graduated with a certificate in surgical technologist from Fortis College in 2010.
The second-ranked school in Virginia that has a surgical technologist program is ECPI College of Technology. ECPI College of Technology, which was ranked 74th in the country in 2010, is located in Virginia Beach. 26 students graduated with certificate in surgical technologist from ECPI College of Technology in 2010. ECPI College of Technology charged in-state students $13,550 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Virginia that has a surgical technologist program is Miller-Motte Technical College. Miller-Motte Technical College, which was ranked 75th in the country in 2010, is located in Lynchburg. In 2010, Miller-Motte Technical College graduated 20 students from its surgical technologist programs. Miller-Motte Technical College charged in-state students $12,900 in tuition fees per year.
If you choose to attend a Virginia surgical technologist school, average tuition will be $5,180 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $2,998 per year to $13,550 per year. In 2010, the following Virginia surgical technologist schools had the highest tuition rates:
- ECPI College of Technology - located in Virginia Beach, students are charged $13,550 per year
- Miller-Motte Technical College - located in Lynchburg, students are charged $12,900 per year
- National College-Salem - located in Salem, students are charged $10,489 per year
The surgical technologist schools in Virginia that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Northern Virginia Community College - located in Annandale, students are charged $2,998 per year
- Lord Fairfax Community College - located in Middletown, students are charged $3,300 per year
- Piedmont Virginia Community College - located in Charlottesville, students are charged $3,380 per year
A surgical technologist certificate from a Virginia school... what next?
The highest percentage of surgical technologist graduates in Virginia pursue careers as a surgical technologist. In 2010, there were 2,150 surgical technologists working in Virginia. In Virginia, the largest numbers of surgical technologists work in the following counties:
- Caroline County - 440 surgical technologists
- Chesapeake County - 430 surgical technologists
- Botetourt County - 220 surgical technologists
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 2,700 surgical technologists will be working in Virginia state. This would require the number of surgical technologists to grow by 26%.
A surgical technologist in Virginia makes an average of $41,040 per year. But, salaries for surgical technologists can vary. In 2010, surgical technologists made as little as less than $17,630 per year or as much as more than $59,980 per year in Virginia. A surgical technologist in the following Virginia counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Frederick County - $46,800 per year
- Caroline County - $45,660 per year
- Alleghany County - $44,010 per year
A surgical technologist in the following counties in Virginia make the lowest salaries on average:
- Buchanan County - $28,390 per year
- Amherst County - $35,940 per year
- Botetourt County - $39,550 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Virginia statistics regarding a career in surgical technology. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as x ray technology or health science.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Surgical Technology in Virginia
- Certificate in Surgical Technology in Virginia
Curious what studying Surgical Technologist gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are surgical technologist related jobs in Virginia