There are schools offering social work degrees in West Virginia!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in West Virginia
The top-ranked school in West Virginia that has a social work program is Marshall University. Marshall University, which was ranked 38th in the country in 2010, is located in Huntington. 9 students graduated with a degree in social work from Marshall University in 2010. Marshall University charged in-state students $5,285 in tuition fees per year.
Concord University, which was ranked 42nd nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in West Virginia that has a social work program. It is located in Athens. In 2010, 14 students graduated from Concord University social work program. Tuition at Concord University was $4,974 per year.
Bethany College, which is located in Bethany, is the third-ranked school in West Virginia that has a social work program. It received a ranking of 42nd in the country in 2010. In 2010, Bethany College graduated 7 students from its social work programs. Bethany College charged in-state students $22,596 in tuition fees per year.
Social work schools in West Virginia, charge students an average tuition of $6,973 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $22,596 per year, or as little as $2,358 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at West Virginia social work schools were charged at the following schools:
- Bethany College - located in Bethany, students are charged $22,596 per year
- Mountain State University - located in Beckley, students are charged $7,200 per year
- West Virginia University - located in Morgantown, students are charged $5,406 per year
The following West Virginia social work schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- West Virginia Northern Community College - located in Wheeling, students are charged $2,358 per year
- West Virginia State University - located in Institute, students are charged $4,544 per year
- Concord University - located in Athens, students are charged $4,974 per year
A social work degree from a West Virginia school... what next?
A large number of West Virginia social work graduates become social workers. West Virginia had 890 social workers in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of West Virginia social workers:
- Boone County - 200 social workers
- Monongalia County - 190 social workers
- Boyd County - 150 social workers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of social workers in the state of West Virginia will grow to 1,010. This would require a 13% growth in the profession.
On average, social workers earn $42,380 per year. But, salaries for social workers can vary. In 2010, social workers made as little as less than $23,210 per year or as much as more than $57,770 per year in West Virginia. The counties in West Virginia with the highest average salary for a social worker are:
- Boyd County - $48,860 per year
- Belmont County - $47,610 per year
- Washington County - $47,020 per year
The following counties in West Virginia have the lowest average salaries for social workers:
- Monongalia County - $39,330 per year
- Fayette County - $39,380 per year
- Barbour County - $40,560 per year
For more data regarding a career in social work in West Virginia and to compare salaries with various related fields such as human resources or social work, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in West Virginia
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in West Virginia
- Master's Degree in Social Work in West Virginia
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in West Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||2,450||$30,220||4.7%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||1,320||$32,350||18.9%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||890||$42,380||-7.3%|
|Social Workers, All Other||140||$67,890||55.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in West Virginia