There are schools offering sports medicine degrees in West Virginia!
Schools Offering Sports Medicine Programs in West Virginia
Each year, roughly 0.1% of West Virginia students graduate with degrees in sports medicine. That means an estimated 47 sports medicine professionals graduate from West Virginia's 7 sports medicine schools each year.
Marshall University, which was ranked 38th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in West Virginia that has a sports medicine program. It is located in Huntington. In 2010, Marshall University graduated 8 students from its sports medicine program. Marshall University charged in-state students $5,285 in tuition fees per year.
Concord University, which was ranked 42nd nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in West Virginia that has a sports medicine program. It is located in Athens. In 2010, 8 students graduated from Concord University sports medicine program. Tuition at Concord University was $4,974 per year.
The third-ranked school in West Virginia that has a sports medicine program is West Virginia Wesleyan College. West Virginia Wesleyan College, which was ranked 42nd in the country in 2010, is located in Buckhannon. 15 students graduated with degree in sports medicine from West Virginia Wesleyan College in 2010. The tuition rate at West Virginia Wesleyan College was $23,980 per year.
If you choose to attend a West Virginia sports medicine school, average tuition will be $16,018 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $4,974 per year to $24,980 per year. In 2010, the sports medicine schools that charged the highest tuition rates in West Virginia were:
- Wheeling Jesuit University - located in Wheeling, students are charged $24,980 per year
- University of Charleston - located in Charleston, students are charged $24,700 per year
- West Virginia Wesleyan College - located in Buckhannon, students are charged $23,980 per year
The sports medicine schools in West Virginia that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Concord University - located in Athens, students are charged $4,974 per year
- Marshall University - located in Huntington, students are charged $5,285 per year
- American Public University System - located in Charles Town, students are charged $6,000 per year
A sports medicine degree from a West Virginia school... what next?
Sports medicine coordinator , coach, physical therapist, and physical therapist assistant are the professions of choice for a majority of sports medicine graduates in West Virginia. 3,510 sports medicine professionals were working in West Virginia in 2010. Of these, 1,320 were sports medicine physicians. In addition, 100 were sports medicine coordinator s, and 570 were coaches. The largest populations of West Virginia sports medicine professional are working in the following counties:
- Boone County - 820 sports medicine professionals
- Barbour County - 640 sports medicine professionals
- Boyd County - 550 sports medicine professionals
The government projects that the number of sports medicine professionals in West Virginia will grow by 20%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 3,030 sports medicine professionals working in West Virginia. The greatest growth for sports medicine professional is predicted to be amongst Sports Medicine Coordinator s, who are expected to increase by 32% by 2018.
On average, sports medicine professionals earn a salary of $73,348 per year in West Virginia state. However, this number is only an average. Sports medicine professional in West Virginia had varying salaries from $16,320 to $107,440 per year in 2010. Sports medicine professionals in the following West Virginia counties make the highest salaries on average:
- Boyd County - $96,608 per year
- Washington County - $88,625 per year
- Barbour County - $87,008 per year
On average, sports medicine professionals earn the least in the following West Virginia counties:
- Boone County - $70,236 per year
- Fayette County - $76,643 per year
- Monongalia County - $80,310 per year
The sports medicine professionals with highest average salaries in West Virginia were:
- Sports Medicine Physician - $177,280 per year
- Physical Therapist - $75,060 per year
- Physical Therapist Assistant - $41,540 per year
The sports medicine professionals with lowest average salaries in West Virginia were:
- Coach - $40,990 per year
- Sports Medicine Coordinator - $31,870 per year
For more data regarding a career in sports medicine in West Virginia and to compare salaries with various related fields such as physical therapy or sports medicine, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Sports Medicine in West Virginia
- Master's Degree in Sports Medicine in West Virginia
Curious what studying Sports Medicine gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in West Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Physicians and Surgeons, All Other||1,320||$177,280||37.5%|
|Physical Therapist Assistants||600||$41,540||25.0%|
|Coaches and Scouts||570||$40,990||78.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are sports medicine related jobs in West Virginia